I purchased a bunch of food that I don’t normally cook, so I guess for the next week I will be experimenting in the kitchen. A few of my new ingredients are cauliflower, butternut squash, garbanzo beans, a coconut, canned asparagus, canned sardines in tomato sauce and some other things. I also have a surplus of leftovers I just been freezing for later. Apparently later is now since stuff keep falling out ny fridge. I hope I come up with some awesome new recipes, some ways to reinvent my leftovers and learn some southern comfort food.
So here are the prices of the ingredients of the pasta I made yesterday. All the ingredients can be bought at a Dollar Tree which keeps the cost down as well as make this a very quick dish.
- 2-7 oz packs of Circle A meatballs (optional if you a vegetarian)
- 1-15 oz can of Hunt’s tomato sauce
- 1 bag of frozen spinach
- 1-15 oz can of tomatoes (or 1-2 tomatoes)
- 1-3oz package of Sargento Mozzarella Cheese
- 1-16oz box of penne pasta (I only used 8oz for my penne)
I added some oregano, basil, and thyme,pepper and salt to increase the flavor. If you buy all this from the Dollar Tree it would cost $5 for decent pasta if you are vegetarian and $7 if you are non veg. It serves at least 4. I think that’s a steal.
This is a simple recipe that is made with just a few ingredients found around the house.
For the filling you can either buy some pie filling in the can or make it. I made mine. The ingredients were:
- 1/2 cup of water
- 1/2 cup of sugar
- 4 apples (peeled, cored, and sliced)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- cinnamon, all spice, and nutmeg
For the crust:
- 1/2 box of yellow cake mix
- 1 stick of butter (melted)
- 1/2 cup of oats
- dash of cinnamon or nutmeg (optional)
- Mix sugar, cinnamon, all spice, nutmeg, vanilla, and water in a bowl.
- Put apple slices in an 8 x 8 square baking pan. Cover with sugar mixture.
- In a separate bowl, mix cake mix, oats, and cinnamon. Pour on top of apples. Make sure you cover all the apples.
- Pour the butter on top of the cake mix. Making sure to wet all the dry mix.
- Bake for 40 minutes.
- Sprinkle sugar on top. Serve warm with ice cream.
This recipe can easily be doubled to make more.
Since I’m broke I got to make my own desserts. This one was easy enough.
Baked penne with spinach, tomatoes, and meatballs
I have just made myself a challenge. The challenge is based off this quote: “Necessity is the mother of invention” -Plato. Each month I attempt to set a food budget for myself. I only have $10 left this month. So for the next 10 days I can only spend $10 bucks on food and use whatever is in my pantry. My pantry is kinda bare so I think I might end up making new dishes.